Sunday, January 28, 2018

Six Toed Monster

It’s five in the morning and it had been raining all night. The cab had just dropped me of near my house. I landed on the puddle while walking and my shoes got wet. The wet road glistened from the light of a street light. I walked listening to ‘Locked out of heaven by Bruno Mars.
I looked down at my shadow and saw another one right behind me, I looked behind to acknowledge but I did not see anyone there. Bemused I continued walking. I entered a building where I lived and realised that there was no electricity. I look down as I walked upstairs, a trail of wet footsteps I have left behind. I gasped because right next to my footsteps there is a pair of wet foot mark right beside mine. I looked frantically but there is no one but just me and a small street light.
I laughed I was just imagining things and cautiously walked couple of more steps. There still was a pair of wet foot mark just beside mine.

While the exercise is definitely good, climbing creepy dark stairs are surely not. I tried fumbling in my bag to get out my new phone with flash light. The thing about handbags which no one mentions is that is a black hole and you can rely at any given point you will not find the most important thing you need.
"Uuugghhh damn!" I cursed, "Now I need a new flash light to find my phone in the dark". After minutes of grumbling and fumbling I finally pulled out the phone and looked up.
"aaaaggggghhhh" I let out a blood curdling scream hoping someone would hear me. The flash light shining on the wet foot mark next to mine had 6 toes on each feet. The 6 toed footprints continued all the way to the top. I clutched on to my bag and tried to hold on to the walls for support. My heart was beating louder than Navratri beats in the Goregaon sports complex. Ghontu the building cat appeared from the other end of the stairway. She was staring at me with a ferocious look, her eyes sparkling in the dark. The white fluid dripping from her mouth made the entire experience even more terrifying. "Is she sick or am I in the middle of a Spielberg thriller?" suddenly the deafening sound of my heartbeat was drowned by footsteps. They were getting louder and coming towards me, or rather was running towards me.
In a flash of white the 6 toed monster appeared at the top of the stairway. I almost turned around and jumped off the 13 stairs I managed to climb, when the 6 toed monster called out my name. I knew it, the building was cursed.

Ghontu made a dash down the stairs and I followed Ghontu as well. Now the 6 toed monster started chasing both of us. I was going to almost trip down the entire flight of stairs when the 6 toed monster grabbed my shoulder and said, "Madam, mai doodhwala. Aap ka billi ne aaj phir se mera doodh pee liya."

Translation: Madam I am the milkman and again your cat has drank my milk.


1 comment:

Sachin Kodolikar said...

Nivi…excellent piece of writing. Your words actually made me travel the dark path with you, while I was reading this in broad day light. The way you presented the story was very captivating with the right choice of words. Looking forward for more such stories. Keep it up.